Search This Blog

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Back in the Saddle & Defeating a Nemesis

After a blistering summer, fall weather has finally made it to Columbia.  That means geocaching weather!  The little one and I have been "jonesing" for some caching for months.  This weekend, we were able to whet a little bit of that appetite. 

Yesterday, we started at one that I've searched for in the past.  I knew I was right on top of the coordinates and I was pretty sure I knew how it was hidden, based on the clue.  So, the Vivver and I headed over there and once again, it eluded us.  We moved on to one that is fairly new and not far from our house.  As we searched a bed of prickly evergreen groundcover, a cook from a nearby restaurant came out for a smoke break.  He called over to us, "hey, watch out for the rats!"  "Huh??" I called back.  He came over and proceeded to tell us that this bed has a nest of what he called "New York rats."  In case you didn't know, that means big giant nasty rats.  He showed us the "rat killin' box" that I had picked up and looked under.  Okay, thank you very much, we're done here.

So, off we went to the Belser Arboretum.  I have lived in this town my entire life.  In <all> those years, I have never even known that within a couple miles of my house there is a 10 acre arboretum.  I was astonished.  If you're interested in learning about it, check out this link.  So, we found the place and started our search.  Success!  This one had some little kid trinkets in it, so that delighted my partner.


This afternoon, we were on the way home from a little get-together and sitting at the light right across from the first place I told you about above.  One of my two current nemeses.  As I gazed at it I said, "You know, Viv, I see one thing we didn't look under yesterday."  My husband said, "You want to go look?"  This was a surprise because he doesn't really dig geocaching.  So, with a 3rd set of eyes, we stopped by.  I told him how I knew I'd been standing right on top of it both times I'd been there and that I thought it should be <here>.  So, he turned on his eagle eyes and damn if he didn't spot it.  Exactly in the type of hiding spot I knew it would be in.  I was so elated!  This one was really beginning to make me angry.  So, the little cacher and I ran to it, signed the log and we all rode away victorious.  

It feels great to be back in the saddle!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...