Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Caching in 95+ weather

Well, this headline isn't all that catchy given the fact that we are in South Carolina.  We spend more of our year above 90 degrees than below. Ok, I may be exaggerating a bit, but if you live here, you know what I'm saying.

Today was a perfect day off for me.  Got my sweet little one up and at 'em and delivered her to the most awesome Summer Camp of all time.  Then, I came home and (wait for it, wait for it)...WENT BACK TO BED!  That's right.  You guys were at work and I was snoozing away with no clock set!  Then, I got up and cooked a crab cake while making myself a list of nearby geocaches.  

First, I went back to one in my neighborhood that I hadn't been able to find before.  I knew then that I was right on top of it, but just couldn't put my finger on it.  So, today, I went right back to that spot, wandered around a little bit and bam! there it was!  Good feeling.  

Then, I headed out to a new one that has only been found once so far. It was a killer.  I wandered around in a mini-forest of bamboo in one of our town's nicest neighborhoods. After I actually left the road and climbed into the bamboo, I heard sirens. Getting closer and closer.  Passed this street, but then stopped immediately after.  So, now, I'm waiting for the cops to come up behind me and begin interrogating me as to why I am lurking around in bamboo in the middle of the day.  Dodged a bullet there...apparently there was an actual emergency somewhere instead of Mrs. Cravitts calling the cops on me!  Didn't find it by the way :-(

Lastly, I hit one in the Presidentlal Series by bobandia.  This was one of the toughest for me yet.  I knew I was right on it.  I took my time and put on my eagle vision. I crouched, I looked up, I looked down, I ran my hand along surfaces, I got a nice thorn right in the pad of my finger!  I was about to give up because at this point I think we'd hit 100 degrees and I was feeling a bit toasty.  Then, just as I sighed with frustration, there it was staring right at me!  (Insert maniacal laugh here)

I gotta tell ya, I almost skipped back to my car after this one.  I was so jacked! And, to bobania, that was an awesome hide!  I feel really proud of myself and feel like I'm evolving as a novice cacher.  I'm so glad I got into this cool hobby.  Even though my friend Cannon thinks I'm a cool nerd.

2 comments:

  1. I'm starting to think being a nerd isn't so bad! (Well...that's what someone told me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the bee's knees, Akre! :)

    But, um, please explain the photograph?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...